Types of Permits for Heavy Equipment Transport

Types of Permits for Heavy Equipment Transport

Heavy Equipment Transport Logo

William Thomas / January 2021

Heavy haul shipping involves oversize and overweight loads; such loads are large in dimensions compared with the typical load.

Such cargo is also heavier than the gross weight allowed by the standard US truck license. An overweight non-divisible load typically has a truck-trailer-load combination that exceeds 80,000 lbs.; hauling such supersize cargo requires specialty trailer transport and special state permits.

Why Do I Require an Oversize Load Permit?

coach bus on trailer for transport

Most states don’t permit overload trucks on the roads during the holidays or on weekends.

Oversize and heavy-duty road regulations define when your semi truck transports can be safely on the road. In most states, heavy-duty trucks carrying wide loads are only allowed to be on the road 30 minutes to sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset.

Before you can schedule your oversize cargo delivery, confirm the oversize load holiday restrictions through the states that your load will pass through. Most states don’t permit overload trucks on the roads during the holidays or on weekends.

Remember, the oversize road restrictions resulted from safety concerns that come up during high traffic times and as well to reduce accidents. So, it’s always advisable to be sure that your load is on the road during legal times. Moving oversize loads during times not permitted by law is a violation of your oversize load permit and can attract high fines.

How do you know that you are on the safe side of the law? Your permit will define it. More importantly, you will get enough advice regarding the same when you are acquiring your oversize load permit.

excavator on trailer for transport

Transport Your Oversize Load Today

Heavy Equipment Transport is always available for a quote. Fill out the form or give us a call now! (888) 730-2951

Types of Special Permits you need to Transport Oversize and Heavy Cargo

Acquiring the necessary permits ensures a seamless movement of freight to the required destination. State authorities assign escorts for hauling heavy equipment and cargo. And these permits also ensure that the city authorities clear traffic along the transport route.

Transport permits are part of compliance to regulations when trucking heavy, oversize loads. These are some of the special trucking permits you will need while moving freight across the US.

  1. Single Trip Oversize/Overweight Permit

When the overall dimensions of a load exceed the loads allowable by state guidelines, states treat them as special loads. You will need this special permit if:

  • ● Overall length exceeds 65′.
  • ● Overall height exceeds 13’6″ or 14′ in some states
  • ● Overall width exceeds 8’6″
  • ● Overall weight exceeds 80,000 lbs.

The overall length and overhang vary from one state to the other.

  1. Single Trip Overweight/Oversize County and City Permits

When your cargo is traveling across city streets or county routes, you require permits to cover the liabilities and legalities that come with the delivery of over-weight freight. This permit will help to clear the path that the trailer truck will use to deliver your cargo.

  1. Temporary Trip Permit

Also called the International Registration Plan (IRP), this permit is a temporary vehicle registration for commercial vehicles like trailer trucks that travel out of state. In case the trailer truck doesn’t have valid IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) credentials for any of the places where they intend to travel.

This permit requires you to pay taxes on the distance traveled across each state or province.

  1. Trip or Fuel Permits

State regulations require you to have this permit when the truck’s power unit has three or more axles or two weights with a gross weight that exceeds 26,000 lbs.

  1. Annual oversize/overweight permits

Also known as a blanket permit, this comprehensive permit has size/weight limitations that may vary between states. It covers commercial vehicles for 12 months. Other states also offer 30, 60, and 90 day or quarterly permits for hauling commodities across different states.

Information you need to provide when trucking heavy and oversize equipment/machinery includes:

  • ● The route that the truck will use
  • ● The date and time of travel
  • ● The description of the consignment
  • ● The dimensions of the equipment, including the width, height, and weight.

Heavy and oversize equipment like containers, generators, containers, pre-built homes, windmill propellers, and construction machines all need these special permits. You should apply and submit the permit application forms at least two days before the day of towing your cargo.

Transport Services near me

At Heavy Equipment Transport, we provide comprehensive shipping solutions for you. We acquire all the permits for you and ensure your consignment arrives at the destination. And to ensure your product arrives safely, we also help to get cargo insurance for your equipment through the travel.

We have a vast array of trucking solutions for you. Whether you need to deliver an aircraft or heavy agricultural or industrial equipment, our skilled logistics team will get your delivery on time.

We thoroughly vet all our drivers, and our trucks and trailers comply with industry standards. We always service and inspect our trucks to ensure that we deliver excellent customer experiences.

Our custom approach to your trucking needs ensures a safe delivery that’s always on time. For a smooth shipping experience, trust heavy equipment trucking for all your business needs. Call us today at (888) 730-2951 to get a free quote and get your cargo moving today.